As a small business owner, you’ll understand the need to promote your business using a variety of marketing efforts. Failure to attract new customers leads to your business failing.
There have never been so many ways to promote a business, and there is no reason why any company shouldn’t be able to easily reach their target marketing audience with a little effort and minimal spending.
But with an abundance of options when it comes to promoting your business, where do you even start?
In this guide, we’ll look at the types of marketing that exist today.
Businesses have been marketing since the dawn of trade – whether that meant the use of word of mouth, shouting about your best deals in the local market, or using the latest innovations in printing after the invention of the Guttenburg press.
The marketing industry has existed in one form or another since the start of the industrial revolution in the 18th century, over the centuries it’s evolved to take in the latest technologies such as radio and TV.
Some examples of tried and tested marketing solutions include:
- Newspaper advertising
- The use of posters and billboards
- The distribution of flyers and brochures
- Direct marketing such as the use of call centers or direct mail to contact leads
- TV and radio advertising
- The use of promotional materials
- Brand sponsorship
- Business networking such as through a chamber of commerce
- Using stalls at trade shows
- Holding a contest
- Distributing coupons
- Asking for referrals
There are currently 5.1 billion internet users worldwide. For many, the internet is their primary source of information. With that in mind, every business needs some kind of digital presence to market itself with.
- Having a website whether that be a landing page or a more interactive experience
- Using search engine optimization (SEO) to push your website to the top of the search results pages
- Utilizing social media platforms
- Using email marketing lists
- Using content marketing to provide valuable resources that attract users to your business – this could be through blogs, podcasts, or videos
- The use of local SEO techniques such as using citations and listings sites to ensure your business appears on local searches
- Pay-per-click advertising
Often, businesses will invest a considerable amount of time and effort into several or even all of these smart marketing techniques.
Understanding Your Demographic
Whatever marketing route you choose to follow, it’s important to know your demographic. You wouldn’t place an advertisement for a new fishing rod in a vegan cooking magazine.
These days, with the advent of social media, it’s much easier to learn about your demographics and to precisely target them. This social media campaign software makes managing marketing efforts so easy.
What Types of Marketing Do You Use?
Finding the innovative marketing solution that works for you is a matter of trial and error. But if you don’t try, you’ll never know.
If you run your own business, what types of marketing do you use?
Looking for tips on running a company? Check out the business section for lots more.