Regular exercise is vital for good health and longevity. However, any exercise regimen can become monotonous and routine if you keep doing the same thing.
If you’re finding yourself getting bored and going through the motions, it’s time to bring some fun into your exercise sessions.
Whether you’re working out for 10 minutes or an hour, you have a lot of different ways to keep it fun and stay motivated. Try these five ideas for infusing more joy and enjoyment into your sessions.
- Partner up and compete
Partner up with a friend or group of people and add a dose of fun competition! Go for a run or a swimming session.
Alternatively, try on-the-spot workouts like squat jumps, chest presses with resistance bands, overhead passes with squats, or push-ups. See who can finish a route in the shortest amount of time or keep at it for longer.
If you’re not motivated by competition, exercising with others can also make it more enjoyable by making it social. The camaraderie can keep you focused and accountable.
- Balloon bounce
Try a novel game to add something new to your workouts. For a fun example, try balloon bounce:
- You’ll need a balloon and at least three players
- Assign a number to each person
- Mark a large circle with tape or chalk on the ground
- Have everyone stand outside the circle
- The rule is to hit the balloon with any part of your body other than your hand, elbow, and foot
- The player with number one starts by pushing the balloon into the air and calling Number Two into the circle
- Number Two should hit the balloon before it hits the ground and call another number, whether it’s one, three, or another number
- Players should stand outside the boundary until their number is called
- If a player doesn’t hit the balloon before it reaches the floor, they get a point. This same player should resume the game by calling out a number
- After five or a given number of minutes of play, the person with the fewest points will win
- You can also use an exercise ball instead of a balloon
- TV shows, audiobooks, or podcasts
Watch your favourite TV show, or try listening to an audiobook or podcast when working out.
By adding a dose of entertainment and distraction, your exercise sessions can become more enjoyable. You’ll alleviate boredom.
Music, in particular, can help you stay energised and inspired, while a podcast provides you with some mental stimulation.
- Switch it up
According to research, people who have the most variety in their exercise sessions are more likely to enjoy them.
Change up your workout routine to avoid getting into a rut. When you find yourself getting bored, try something new:
- Find out what you love. Experiment with different activities and settings to figure out what you enjoy doing. From rock climbing and contact sports to yoga and pilates, explore and have fun!
- Focus on different types of health outcomes. By incorporating a mixture of weight-bearing, resistance training, and balance exercises, you’ll be boosting your bone density while adding variety.’
- Change your environment by going to the beach, going for a hike in nature, or trying a gym or indoor exercise session. Fun ideas could include yoga, dancing, spinning, Zumba, kickboxing, or aqua aerobics.
- Try exercising at different times of the day (or night). This can also help keep your exercise feeling fresh and novel. Furthermore, you might find your energy levels to be higher at different times of the day.
- Other ideas for exercise activities can include holding a dance party to your favourite music, playing frisbee with your friends, learning jump roping, or enjoying a hula-hoop session.
- Reward yourself
Inject a dose of fun by rewarding yourself at the end of your workouts. Enjoy a healthful treat, read a book, relax in front of your favourite show, or take a nap. Make time to call a friend or loved one and enjoy a casual chat. Treat yourself to a spa session or a massage once in a while.
This way, you’ll have something to look forward to when you’re exercising, whether it’s an intrinsic or extrinsic reward. You’ll get a sense of accomplishment as well, once you’ve completed your session and started enjoying your treat.
It’s easy to get into a rut with your fitness routine, but you don’t have to wait until you’re bored to do something about it. If it’s feeling like a chore and it’s been a while since you’ve been looking forward to your exercise sessions, you can get back on track with some of these strategies.
Partner up with others and get social. Play a game like balloon bounce. Try adding some entertainment for distraction, like watching TV shows or listening to your favourite tunes. Switch it up with a variety of different activities, fresh environments, or try changing your workout time of day. Spice it up and bring the fun back to your workouts starting today.